Friday, January 28, 2011

Hawaii :: Day 9

Well, a little more than one-month-to-the-day after the trip started here's the last post from our Hawaii trip. Man, I (we've) got to think of a better way to do this next time. Needless-to-say it has been a rather drawn out experience for all of us (including you).

We started the day with a session at the temple. The Laie temple was under renovation for quite a while and was rededicated in November. So we really arrived in the area with perfect timing. I can't really remember a lot of detail from what things used to look like but I can say this: It's beautiful inside now. We were asked to be the witness couple which was an added, special moment to the experience. I remember feeling really calm and at peace during our time there. It's a special place for me.

I learned two things after we left: 1. I like to dillydally whereas Oriah is the much more efficient of the two of us. For example: When we exited the main doors I turned right down the walkway and headed for an open gate that I never remember seeing open before during any of my past trips to the temple. I just wanted to see what was behind the gate or on that side of the temple. Oriah said to me, "Of course you take us to the place we shouldn't go" or something along those lines. I was just curious! Afterall, with all the renovations I wanted to see if I could tell what had changed, or what was new, etc. Anyway, yes, Oriah is the A->B type where it doesn't really matter to me. Well, I guess it does. If I'm in a hurry I can be very efficient. But if I don't have any constraints then I'll meander around taking the scenic route, or making a scenic route, and kind of putz along.

The second thing: 2. There are twelve, tall palm trees that line the main walkway leading up to the temple! Like 12 giant guardians, or sentinels, leading the way...providing safety and protection. Felt very symbolic of the Quorum of Twelve and their role in our lives.

We left and drove a block, or so, to the Hukilau cafe...which was also closed. Strike 3. First the Flea Market, then Diamond Head and then Hukilau. Bummer. So much for that other 6-month long held expectation.

We headed back to the rental to change clothes and head to the beach one last time (or maybe this was our first time...) I took us to one of my favorite spots on the windward coast. The water is shallow and really pretty colors. You can also see the coral below sometimes on more calm days. This day was a bit breezy. We ventured out about mid-waste but didn't go much further mainly because it was chilly but we also thought we saw a corn shark (poop) floating around nearby. That kind of killed things for me although I did run back to grab the camera and ventured out in the water again trying to get a picture of it but I didn't see it again.

Back to the rental and time to pack up, tidy up and check out. It was an ok place. If and when we go back I feel safe saying we'll look for somewhere else to stay next time. Headed back to the Dole Plantation once more and looked into grabbing some pineapples to send home but their options for sizes and packaging weren't going to work all that well with our plans. So, sorry everyone. No pineapple samples. While we were there we had to snack on their pineapple ice cream treat, of course! Pretty tasty stuff.

By this time it was late enough to head back to Pearl City and do some final shopping for gifts and souvenirs before taking the car back and heading to the airport for the flight home. We drove to a few of the Wal-Marts in the area, naturally, and picked up the goods.

After the shopping was complete we headed to Waianae (west) side to finally catch a sunset unobstructed into the ocean. The sunsets on Maui were great but were blocked by Lanai. The sunset at Turtle Bay had potential but too was blocked by geography. We stopped at a beach park near the south and west end of the island to see the glowing orb of fire settle into the big, deep blue. No landmasses to get in the way this time :) And...success! It was very pretty and quite romantic complete with a sailboat in the background.

Alas, all good things come to an end. Nature's fireworks ended and we figured it was a good time to grab dinner. We headed back to Pearl City near the apartment towers where I used to live and parked in a strip mall listening to Ohio State almost lose their bowl game - again - to Arkansas on the radio before snagging dinner at a Panda.

Time to face reality and go back to the airport for the flight home. I've never had much success sleeping through a red-eye flight and I swore them off the last time I took one. But here I found myself...another red-eye. Ugh. It wasn't too bad. I think both Oriah and I were able to sleep a little bit. All I know is that in the time we were gone Utah had not warmed up at all. In fact, I think it had gotten colder. It was brutal coming back to the snow and cold after all the sun and fun. Not to mention that I was scheduled to be at work at 8a the morning we got back into town. I think I made my appearance at the store around noon, if I recall. Good thing I've got a nice boss who let's me get away with quite a bit without harassing me too much.

That's all folks! Our 1st anniversary trip to Hawaii. It was a great time! Looking forward to many more anniversaries and trips!

No comments:

Post a Comment