It’s Sunday! I’m so excited to see so many familiar faces at the old family ward in Aiea (the only town in America spelled with all vowels…or so I’ve heard.) After chilling on the lanai and watching the golfers go by we get ready. Really isn’t much to do so we take off a little bit early and drive around BYU-H campus and then to the temple. We planned to go to a session Tuesday morning and I’m excited for that also. The Laie temple has been under renovation for the last year, or more, and so I’m really interested to see what the inside looks like now.
We head back south again to Pearl City and pull into the chapel parking lot. As soon as we walk in we meet Josh Horita at the door – he’s in the Bishopric now (and I realize I’m talking to you as if you knew who he was…). Next I see Brother Purcell (I never did learn his first name) and he gives me the biggest smile and bear hug. I love that guy! Needless to say I could carry on with a list of names but that wouldn’t do much. It was wonderful seeing all those familiar faces and visiting with them even if just for a short time.
The Newtown 1st Ward has been the best family ward I’ve ever belonged to (a close second would be the Hanford Wards in California.) I still feel like family every time I go back for a visit. My former Bishop’s wife told me “once a member of the Newtown 1st, always a member.” Truth.
I do remember seeing a gal sitting on the front row. I knew her. I want to say her name is Sunny…not sure. Anyway, I do remember her as being married while I was in the ward but she didn’t have children at the time. I also remember her being the embodiment of her name – Sunny. She was always smiling and so, so happy. But that morning, while she was sitting on the front row with her family – she had two children with her – she was not so Sunny. In fact, she was quite stormy and rather short with her kids. It struck me how remarkable the change was in her countenance and disposition. As I shared this with Oriah, Oriah was quick to suggest that she may be experiencing postpartum…very valid. Whatever was going on that day…it caught my attention. Anyway…
After the block of meetings we headed back north for the Singles Branch in Wahiawa and to see my former Branch President. Background: About one year into attending the Newtown 1st Ward word was put out that the Stake was starting a Singles Branch. And so I went. That’s where I got to know Russell Watanabe. The man has had a significant influence on my life, thoughts and perspective. I’ll always be grateful for his kindness and service during those Navy years when times weren’t great. While at the Branch we grabbed dinner at the “break the fast” since it was the first Sunday of the month. I saw a few other familiar faces while we were there. Great day!
We headed home and stopped at the temple again. We walked into the Visitors Center and I realized someone was behind me trying to get my attention. It was Brother and Sister Chandler – from the Newtown 1st Ward! Except they had moved to Laie so they were no longer living in Aiea. It was so great to see them and hear what they had been up to over the past few years.
I’m sure Oriah’s head was spinning once the day was done having met so many people – with all of them seeming to know her and with her not knowing any of them :) But I was glad to share with her all of these people that mean so much to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment