Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Election Night

Welcome to our 200th post! Tonight was election night for our HOA (Homeowners' Association.) I've been serving as Vice President since May and the position I've been filling was up for re-election tonight.

Long story made short: I was re-elected for the next 3 years.

Now, the long story: I didn't campaign. In fact, I was approached by a gentlemen who, essentially, cornered the market by collecting a significant number of proxy votes by disinterested owners which allowed said gentlemen to vote on those owners' behalf. So, he simply voted himself, and those whom he wanted to be on the Board with him, onto the Board. He knocked on our door a few nights ago and told me that he wanted me to continue serving on the board with him. I didn't exactly put my full faith and trust into his comments at the time but this evening - sure enough - it came to pass.

Talk about the subtle power of influence and persuasion! I really didn't think we were more than acquaintances but apparently I did something somewhere at sometime that left a favorable impression upon him.

So, after listening to people complain about the same problems for two-and-a-half hours Oriah and I saved roughly $4,400 in HOA dues over the next 3 years [Assumptions: We don't move before the 3-year term ends, HOA dues don't increase or decrease over the same period of time, nor will any "special assessment" be imposed for an unforeseen disaster/event in the community to which we'd have to cough up some money.]

Lessons learned: There really isn't that much to politics. I'll just have to keep finding people who want me around, let them do all the dirty work, and I'll ride their coat tails into office. Easy!

1 comment:

Michael said...

This one is for you JErb :)

Post a Comment