[M] My love of observation and people watching has borne it's bounty of fruits once more! Oh, the joys of watching others engage in public speaking! Hehehe...some people have the strangest habits! Oriah and I noticed about two weeks ago that one of the counselors in our Bishopric relies on the phrase "go ahead" whenever he has something to say which is often because we've determined that he loves to hear himself talk! Anyway, he must have incorporated "go ahead" at least 73 times during today's Sacrament meeting. It was maddening! I took the opportunity to make him aware of his unconscious behavior after the meeting while I handed in our tithing. I first greeted him and offered him our tithing. I then asked if he was aware of how often he says "go ahead." His wife was standing next to him and smiled at me. He acted surprised and I told him that it was just an observation and as I walked away I heard him asking one of the other counselors if he really said that phrase a lot. I think I gave him a complex :) Along those same lines, having lunch yesterday at California Pizza Kitchen I observed the owner/manager engaged in an overly animated conversation with one of the waitresses. While I suspected the owner had a flare for the dramatic I mentioned the interaction to our waiter asking if the owner was yelling at one of his coworkers. Well, I guess our waiter mentioned something to the owner and the owner came over apologizing and assuring us that the waitress was not in trouble. I simply told him that he was very loud. 1. I derive an immense amount of enjoyment creating socially awkward moments for others. 2. I know that when I do this sort of thing that it embarrasses Oriah to no end. I'm glad she lets me have my fun :) That is all.Sunday, May 23, 2010
Verbal Tic
[M] My love of observation and people watching has borne it's bounty of fruits once more! Oh, the joys of watching others engage in public speaking! Hehehe...some people have the strangest habits! Oriah and I noticed about two weeks ago that one of the counselors in our Bishopric relies on the phrase "go ahead" whenever he has something to say which is often because we've determined that he loves to hear himself talk! Anyway, he must have incorporated "go ahead" at least 73 times during today's Sacrament meeting. It was maddening! I took the opportunity to make him aware of his unconscious behavior after the meeting while I handed in our tithing. I first greeted him and offered him our tithing. I then asked if he was aware of how often he says "go ahead." His wife was standing next to him and smiled at me. He acted surprised and I told him that it was just an observation and as I walked away I heard him asking one of the other counselors if he really said that phrase a lot. I think I gave him a complex :) Along those same lines, having lunch yesterday at California Pizza Kitchen I observed the owner/manager engaged in an overly animated conversation with one of the waitresses. While I suspected the owner had a flare for the dramatic I mentioned the interaction to our waiter asking if the owner was yelling at one of his coworkers. Well, I guess our waiter mentioned something to the owner and the owner came over apologizing and assuring us that the waitress was not in trouble. I simply told him that he was very loud. 1. I derive an immense amount of enjoyment creating socially awkward moments for others. 2. I know that when I do this sort of thing that it embarrasses Oriah to no end. I'm glad she lets me have my fun :) That is all.
2 comments:
I'm pretty sure I didn't "let" you do that. If you would have told me what you were planning on doing before you talked to the waiter I would have told you not to do it. I think you just enjoy embarrassing me!
Wow, this is CLASSIC Mike. Not surprised even a little. :)
Post a Comment