Meet Muffy (I'm pretty sure the cat looked something like this during the split-second my peripheral vision picked it up.) Muffy more than likely won't be making it home for dinner tonight. Perhaps Muffy will become dinner for some creepy, crawly critters living around the area where he/she decides to eventually seek refuge and die. Muffy darted out into the street and received a close-up with Stella's (our 2008 Honda Civic) front, right tire and back, left tire (more the back, left tire) while I was driving to my in-laws this afternoon. I'd like to say that I feel some remorse - to show that I am a humane individual and that I have the capacity to feel sympathy for the owner's likely loss of a beloved pet - but...I can't. Truth be told I can't stand cats. Never have. I do know I'd feel 1,000,000x worse if I would have made a meat flat out of a dog. This all reminded me of the first time I ever hit one of God's creations with a motor vehicle. I was driving a Toyota silver bullet van on a two-lane Wyoming highway on the way back from delivering a wedding cake to a resort out-of-town. Driving back to town I saw two birds off on the right side of the road ahead of me. I was driving into the wind (poor little birdies never heard me coming) and when I was practically on top of them one of the birds decided to dart left and fly out right in front of the van. The darn thing hit the windshield - shot straight up into the air like a missile - and as I watched it fall back to earth in my rear view mirror I thought to myself, "If it isn't dead, it sure is wishing it was." And with that I should probably end this post...I sound insensitive.
Monday, September 6, 2010
Roadkill
Meet Muffy (I'm pretty sure the cat looked something like this during the split-second my peripheral vision picked it up.) Muffy more than likely won't be making it home for dinner tonight. Perhaps Muffy will become dinner for some creepy, crawly critters living around the area where he/she decides to eventually seek refuge and die. Muffy darted out into the street and received a close-up with Stella's (our 2008 Honda Civic) front, right tire and back, left tire (more the back, left tire) while I was driving to my in-laws this afternoon. I'd like to say that I feel some remorse - to show that I am a humane individual and that I have the capacity to feel sympathy for the owner's likely loss of a beloved pet - but...I can't. Truth be told I can't stand cats. Never have. I do know I'd feel 1,000,000x worse if I would have made a meat flat out of a dog. This all reminded me of the first time I ever hit one of God's creations with a motor vehicle. I was driving a Toyota silver bullet van on a two-lane Wyoming highway on the way back from delivering a wedding cake to a resort out-of-town. Driving back to town I saw two birds off on the right side of the road ahead of me. I was driving into the wind (poor little birdies never heard me coming) and when I was practically on top of them one of the birds decided to dart left and fly out right in front of the van. The darn thing hit the windshield - shot straight up into the air like a missile - and as I watched it fall back to earth in my rear view mirror I thought to myself, "If it isn't dead, it sure is wishing it was." And with that I should probably end this post...I sound insensitive.
1 comment:
Heartless.
Post a Comment