Sunday, February 5, 2012

Filling the Void

The past two weeks - specifically on the weekends - I've felt the longing to lead.

I suppose the feeling comes mostly in a professional context:
  • The military was the end-all of leadership - no finer training ground
  • I had some sense of responsibility while at Wally World and while I hope to never be back in that exact kind of leadership role it still had components of leadership
  • Now with my most recent employment - while I thought I would enjoy having no direct reports and only having to report up to my supervisors - lately I've realized how much I truly miss responsibility for others' development and a sense of stewardship
While I may, or may not, ever achieve the level of leadership and responsibility I had in the Navy I've been turning my thoughts more and more to coaching. I'm thinking that the need for leadership, shaping character, molding the next generation, etc. can be more of a personal interest/hobby which can be separated from work. My tendency is to look towards athletics but are there other avenues, or outlets?

My only hesitancy with jumping into an athletic capacity is that I've never really competed in any sport at any significant level (e.g. high school or college) therefore I feel that I could never be a "great" coach due to the inability to empathize with the player:
  • I played intramural basketball in middle-school. I think I had one assist the entire season
  • I was cut from the Freshman baseball team in high school and began managing teams thereafter in high school and college
  • I've played volleyball in the Stake intramural season a few years ago
  • I've participated in some 5K/10K/half-marathon runs but never in a track & field setting
But something is definitely missing. I feel called to this line of work but I'm just not sure how to get started or what area to pursue. Where should I apply this desire, my experience and my interest?

No comments:

Post a Comment