I have been taught that if you want a job you will present yourself in the best way possible. That was not the case for a girl that just came in our office.
Background: We are currently hiring people to work at the Stadium of Fire. The job is currently only open to BYU students so when people call me or come in I always ask that question first.
Ok, so here is what happened:
Little Red Haired Girl (LRHG) walks in the office, resume in hand. She asked for Suzette(I corrected her because I was pretty sure she really wanted to talk to Suzanne). I asked her what it was about and she told me her friend referred her to our office to apply to work at Stadium of Fire. I am the one she needed to talk to to schedule an interview so I told her and we continued our conversation.
Me: "Are you a current BYU student?"
LRHG: "No."
Me: "Ok, do you plan to be a student?" (maybe she is an incoming freshman, they are eligible to work).
LRHG: Almost sounding in shock that I asked such a question she says, "No, and I don't ever plan to be. I hate BYU." (STRIKE 1, keep it to yourself)
Me: "Ok... I'm sorry this position is only open to current BYU students."
LRHG: Clearly annoyed, "Then why do you always have old people working for you?" (STRIKE 2, why are you questioning me?!?!)
Me: Trying to be patient I said, "In the past we have opened it to non-BYU students, but we try and give our students the opportunity to work if they would like to. If there aren't enough students interested we will open it to non-students and the job will be posted at yjobs.byu.edu."
LRHG: Defeated and very annoyed, "Thank you" then she walks out. As she is still in the office, but at the door, maybe 10 feet from me she says, "Another reason to not like BYU, stuck up little university" and walks out. (STRIKE 3)
Hmm... I'm pretty sure if she really wanted a job she shouldn't have acted that way. I'm thinking she wanted to see the Stadium of Fire for free.
To you Little Red Haired Girl I say, "Good luck in your future. I hope when you are really wanting a job you don't act the same way you just did. And I'm not sure why you even came to look for a job here, I don't think you really want to work for a University that you so clearly hate. Good luck in your future job searches."
1 comment:
Ha ha. I just read this. Very funny. :)
Post a Comment