Sunday, January 31, 2010

Surprise!

The once-a-month "Surprise Date Night" idea Oriah and I received from our good friend has turned into pretty much a weekly event. And I don't mind one bit, whatsoever! This past Friday, was great. With my overnight schedule we rarely have time together (which hopefully will be changing soon thanks to several interviews this week) and so imagine my surprise when Friday morning, my conversation with Oriah went something like this:

(Background: Oriah starts work at 8a.)

Me: [Waking up at 7:40a] Oriah! It's 7:40! You're going to be late!
O: [Not reacting in the startled, "Oh, CRAP!" way I'd expect someone who has just overslept would react]...(in a groggy voice)...I took a vacation day.
Me: You what?
O: Yeah, when I was planning our surprise weekend get away for our anniversary I took the day off!

So, there you go. I was starting my 4-day off rotation with a 3-day weekend with my beautiful wife who I feel like I never get to see anymore!

Well, unbeknownst to me Oriah planned for us to go to the Salt Lake temple early afternoon (I've never been) but I scheduled a job interview at 1p so that derailed that aspect of surprise Friday. But, no worries...the interview went well. Please keep your fingers crossed for us that this will come through and a more "normal" lifestyle will ensue shortly.

After the interview, we drove up to Salt Lake to do some shopping and Oriah was taking me to dinner at the Gateway. I found out she had California Pizza Kitchen in mind! The last time we went to that restaurant was in Orem when I first held her hand all the way back last April! We walked into the restaurant and the hostess looked at us and I wasn't paying 100% attention to what was going on but she asked if we were with another group and I said, "No. Just two" and all of the sudden Oriah was dragging me to a table where others were sitting with menus hiding their faces and it was Celeste, Niki and Peggy!!! The family was getting together for dinner! Oh, man - that was awesome! I love Oriah's family so much and I just love seeing them and spending time with them whenever we can!

So we all sat down for dinner and Jerusha and Al eventually joined us once they got off work. I'll get to see them all again next weekend for the Super Bowl party. Yep, it was a great day and a great surprise date day! I've got an amazing wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment